Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The beginning of the end of the year

Sunday marked the end of the spring season 2013.... hurray! I made it! a l m o s t

Plans for the summer are getting set, my focus at work has changed, no more practices or games, everything is blooming around us, my swimsuits are ready for a beach, river or lake.... hurray! I made it! so close.

As a college student, it's hard to stay focused. I get it. As a college professor/athletic trainer, it's just as hard to stay focused. I have a glimpse of what summer will be like in a little over a month. yet so far away.

During college, as I get close to finals week, I always made a to do list, on post-it notes, that listed everything that had to be done before I could leave school. A final finals list. One side was for all my classes, the other side was everything else. I tell you, everything was on the list..... meetings, papers, exams, tests, practicals, banquets, housing for next year, future class plans, summer jobs/plans, laundry, car inspections, packing, storage. I taped it down to my desk to make it the "official" to do list.

I have a chronic problem of rewriting my to do lists a hundred times. (Hence the need for an "official" list.) It needs to be clearly written, so the end point is in sight. I need a clear path to getting it all done.

Timing is the key when attempting to make my final finals list. If it's written too far out from the end of finals week, it will be re-written due to being overwhelming. It's a problem when each bullet point has too many variables missing to actually complete the task. There's nothing more frustrating than having a to do list in which I feel like I can't complete anything on the list. (In this case, I try to "save" the list by adding to list just so I can check it off. This trick can only help so much. Eventually, the list needs to be re-written because it's too messy.)

Right now, I'm only at the beginning of the end of the year. Yes, spring season is over, but it's not the end of the year yet. There is still A LOT to do before hitting the beach. I tried making a final final list today. And I already re-wrote it twice. Clearly, it's too early.

Hopefully with more normal hours over the next several weeks I can really get back into working out, puppy time, soccer, tennis, biking, cooking some Pinterest meals, clean the apartment more often and catch up with some friends.

The summer is near, I can smell it, but I can't see it yet.




No comments:

Post a Comment