Wednesday, November 14, 2012

cpr & racquetball

I remember the first time I was tested on how to do CPR... in 6th grade during PE. I was the first to pass the skills test in my class! (And I'm pretty sure I guested at which steps to do when... and "knew how to do CPR"). Since then, I've taken a lot of CPR/AED courses, at different levels, with many different instructors.

My biggest frustration with CPR classes is trying to process, learn and remember - in detail - life saving information, in less than 2 hours. Every class feels rushed. All the information is ALMOST straight forward... but it's still confusing. Does a rushed class prepare people to be confident if they are presented with an emergency, in which they need to start CPR and use an AED...? I don't think so.

In August (during the crazy two weeks of preseason), I took a course so I could be an instructor for CPR courses! The class was a grueling 8 hours. The first part of the class was reviewing material and taking the tests myself. After lunch, as a group, we taught two 2-hour classes before we could go home.

Upon receiving the formal instructor manuals (including videos, lesson maps, evaluations, equipment requirements, evaluations, exams and re-certification requirements), I was determined to sort through it all to have my classes be straight-forward and easy to understand. Most of the students I will teach are Sweet Briar students who work with me in the athletic training room, at practices/competitions, in the athletic building or fitness room. It is important for me to have these students leave my CPR class feeling confident that they know what they're doing. I'm depending on them since I can't be at every practice - they're my eyes and ears most of the time!

Last night, I taught my first class! I had four students who needed to be certified to start working with me after Thanksgiving. From the beginning, I made it clear that the goal was to leave the class with confidence in their ability to perform CPR and use an AED. We met in a classroom, watched video, reviewed material, practiced CPR, added the AED, reviewed more material and questions, etc, etc. Although I was nervous about keeping them engaged and rushing through material, it was a success! It was still about 2 hours and they seemed to respond well. I plan to do a review with them when they start work with me... you know, to build their confidence when they remember what they learned!

If anyone wants me to teach them CPR, I will keep it clear and straight-forward!

P.S. Ryan and I played racquetball this morning before work. We are good competition for each other, and we're both REALLY competitive. We played best of 5 games. In the 5th game... tied with 2 wins each... final game was to 11 points... had to win by 2.... final score was 12-10... who do you think won?

No comments:

Post a Comment