Wednesday, December 12, 2012

trying cauliflower salad

I tried this new dish this weekend. It was easy, healthy and had a short list of ingredients. I probably won't cook it again because I didn't really like it.

This dish included roasting red peppers. Last time I roasted red potatoes, I had a really hard time peeling them. This time I cut them into big pieces, covered them with a little olive oil (I'm not sure why I thought this was a good idea, but it worked so I'll do it next time...even if it doesn't do anything!), and broiled them skin side up until the skin was charred black and really bubbly. I let them cool for about 10 minutes and then EASILY peeled them. Success!


I was also supposed to blanch the cauliflower. I don't know what blanch means or if I like blanched cauliflower, so instead I steamed them. Maybe I would have liked the salad better if they were blanched...

Anyways, here's what I did. Suggestions welcome!

Cauliflower salad

Ingredients:
2 heads of cauliflower (1 white, 1 green), chopped
2 roasted red peppers
1/2 cup sliced black olives


Dressing:
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Mix dressing ingredients. Steam cauliflower in for 10-15 minutes. Roast red peppers for 10-15 minutes in big pieces, until charred black and really bubbly. Let peppers cool for 10 minutes, peel off skin and cut into small pieces. Stir in dressing to cauliflower, roasted peppers and black olives. Set in fridge to cool and allow flavors to blend before serving.


Improvements for next time:
1. Learn to blanch instead of steam cauliflower.
2. Chop cauliflower into smaller pieces.
3. Refrigerate longer before serving.
4. Maybe try a different dressing to see if I like that better.

No comments:

Post a Comment